Tuesday, January 31, 2012

White Winter Hymnal

Don't you worry, there's no sermon in the sentences ahead.  It's simply the name of a song by Fleet Foxes, one that comes to my mind every time I see snow falling these days.  Have you heard it before?  If not, do listen.

We had a snowfall a few days back, nothing much by the standards of upstate.  It was enough, though, to give the Stockade that thin white blanket that makes one say, "Ah, Winter.  There you are."  I had just arrived back home, and luckily I had brought my camera out with me.  There was no time to stop inside, down the street I went.  

There wasn't a pattern to where I walked, it became a trip where each intersection was a new decision.  Exponential options, each turn more picturesque than the next.  As the sun went down, the houses loomed larger, the shadows stretched, and the Stockade took on a much older feel.  It wasn't hard to imagine you were strolling through another time.  As we watch Schenectady grow and develop in this new century, it's comforting to know that we still have roots planted in the past.  A community that cherishes where it's come from, as well as where it's going.  A respect, and a foundation. 


I'm hoping you enjoy these photos, thank you for reading.




















2 comments:

  1. loved the last one with the footprints- well done, Matt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first photo in this entry, of the Presbyterian Church (I believe it's the Presby church...), this was a concert stop when I sang/toured with the Houghton College Choir back in college/grad school. It is gorgeous inside. Your photographs are fantastic - great job!

    ReplyDelete