Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Happy Cappuccino


      I'm no addict.  I don't need a cup of coffee in the morning to pry open my eyelids. When the coffee grounds run out, I don't exclaim it in the same tone I'd use if I had accidentally shot my own grandmother.  But even I will admit there are few things that surpass a good cuppa at ten in the morning.  Mila Kunis is one.  Actually, let's just leave the list at that.
     I consider myself one of the luckiest people on earth, mainly because I have never had a bad-barista experience, or B.B.E.  This is a serious topic that scientists and our government secretly put an enormous amount of time and money into studying, along with five-star restaurants, Obama's birth certificate, and various 900 numbers.  Even the military has realized the applications. Imagine, an entire enemy force immobilized for days with frustration and angst because they were corrected for saying "large" instead of "grande" in front of other customers.  The mere thought is terrifying. 
    
I've always had happy people make coffee for me, which only makes sense when you think about the nature of coffeehouses.  A social recluse is not going to start a business that requires talking to the widest possible demographic spectrum.  Coffee does not discriminate, which is why it should be on the table at every U.N. meeting.  Also, beer might be a good idea.  Can you imagine?

Russia: "Hey, U.S.A!  If you and Portugal hold China's legs up for the keg stand, we'll sign the nuclear disarmament treaty."
U.S.A: "Okay, but he's got to hit at least twenty seconds.  France surrendered after five.  Typical."

I digress.  The point I'm poorly trying to make is: There's usually a good vibe at any small coffeehouse, so how do you find one that stands above the rest?  Where's the one that adds a little bit more bang for the buck?  Can you do a keg stand with an espresso machine? 

Start at The Happy Cappuccino.  Having opened their doors at the end of September just past, they're a very welcome addition to Jay Street.  You can't miss the location; it's the one with all the passers-by staring unabashedly through the windows.  Sitting just off the corner of Jay and State, it's got a shop front that lets the sunlight pour in.  It's prime real estate for people watching and paper reading, my two activities of choice on any given morning.  If you're in the mood for something a bit more cave-like, just swing around to the far room and plop yourself down on the couch.  In the far corner you'll see some microphone stands, a lone amp and a stool.  On Thursday nights this place becomes home to some great local musicians on an open mic.  Come by around 7:30 and use it as an evening warm-up before trivia at Bombers or Pinheads.  It's one of those formulas for a great night that works every time.  Just don't try to keg stand the espresso machine. 
Feel like playing  a a bit of chess?   They've got that covered too.  A board sits in the corner at the furthest window, just begging to be used.  I spent most of this summer debating the public sex appeal of chess, there were two of us maintaining that women should swoon over the mere idea of men using their brains.  In the end, we lost that debate.  Bobby Fischer was a lot of things folks, but a ladies man he was not.  C'est la vie.  That said, I maintain the following: I would propose, on the spot, to any woman I saw playing a game of chess in a coffee shop.  The same goes for football.  Not in a coffee shop though.  On a field.  Or in a department store. 

When you stop in, you'll get to meet Matt, Heather or Billy behind the counter.  These three have their act solidly together, and the drinks they serve up are top shelf.  And it doesn't stop with what's printed on the menu dear reader.  Four of us stopped by after last Sunday's Greenmarket, when the temperature was hovering around absolute zero, and a warm drink was the only way forward.  Billy sorted us out.  I've met some very cool baristi in my time, but Billy takes the prize.  I've honestly never had so much care put into finding what kind of drink I was looking for.  We're talking perfect custom creations here, like an ace bartender making a proper Manhattan.  Andrew came looking for a simple hot cocoa.  With the slightest suggestion, he ended up holding the creation below.  Hints of hazelnut if I remember right, with a bangin' strong dose of chocolate.  Win.

Go Giants and Hot Chocolate!
 If you've already been here, then you know what I'm talking about, and you know it's only a matter of time before you find yourself in here again.  There are some small vices in this world which are well deserved.  Coffee is one of those.  Justin Bieber is not.  So if you're walking down Jay Street and spot this sign, drop in for a few minutes.  If you've already passed it, turn around.  I'd bet it will be the first of many a visit.










No comments:

Post a Comment